Hello, Good News! Are you looking for a creative and delicious way to celebrate Thanksgiving this year? If so, you might want to try making turkey cake pops. These are cute and tasty treats that look like mini turkeys on a stick. They are perfect for serving as appetizers, desserts, or party favors.
In this article, we will show you how to make turkey cake pops from scratch. You will learn how to bake the cake, shape the pops, decorate them with candy and chocolate, and add the finishing touches. You will also find some tips and tricks to make your turkey cake pops look realistic and adorable. Let’s get started!
What You Need to Make Turkey Cake Pops
To make turkey cake pops, you will need the following ingredients:
- A box of cake mix in any flavor you like. You can also use your favorite homemade cake recipe.
- A can of frosting in a matching or complementary flavor. You can also use homemade frosting or cream cheese.
- Candy melts in brown, orange, red, yellow, and white colors. You can find these at any craft store or online.
- Lollipop sticks. You can use regular or paper ones.
- Candy eyes. These are small round candies that look like eyes. You can also use mini chocolate chips or M&M’s.
- Candy corn. These are triangular candies that look like corn kernels. You will use these to make the turkey’s beak and feathers.
- Mini pretzel twists. These will be the turkey’s feet.
To make turkey cake pops, you will need the following tools:
- A 9×13 inch baking pan. You can also use a round or square one.
- A large mixing bowl and a wooden spoon.
- A cookie scoop or a tablespoon.
- A baking sheet lined with parchment paper or wax paper.
- A microwave-safe bowl and a spoon for melting the candy melts.
- A piping bag or a ziplock bag with a small hole cut in one corner.
- A toothpick or a skewer.
How to Make Turkey Cake Pops
Step 1: Bake the Cake
The first step to make turkey cake pops is to bake the cake. You can use any flavor of cake mix or homemade cake recipe you like. Follow the instructions on the box or the recipe to prepare the batter and bake the cake in a 9×13 inch pan. Let the cake cool completely before proceeding to the next step.
Step 2: Crumble the Cake
The next step is to crumble the cake into fine crumbs. You can do this by hand or by using a food processor. Transfer the cake crumbs to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
Step 3: Add the Frosting
The third step is to add the frosting to the cake crumbs. You can use any flavor of canned frosting or homemade frosting or cream cheese you like. Start with about half a cup of frosting and mix it well with the cake crumbs using a wooden spoon or your hands. The mixture should be moist enough to hold together when you roll it into balls, but not too sticky or wet. If it is too dry, add more frosting gradually until you reach the right consistency. If it is too wet, add more cake crumbs until it is firm enough.
Step 4: Shape the Pops
The fourth step is to shape the pops. You can use a cookie scoop or a tablespoon to scoop out equal amounts of the cake mixture and roll them into balls. You should get about 24 balls from the mixture. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or wax paper and refrigerate them for about an hour or until firm.
Step 5: Melt the Candy Melts
The fifth step is to melt the candy melts. You will need brown, orange, red, yellow, and white candy melts to decorate the pops. You can use a microwave-safe bowl and a spoon to melt each color separately in the microwave. Follow the instructions on the package to melt the candy melts until smooth and fluid. You can also use a double boiler or a saucepan over low heat to melt them on the stove. Transfer each color to a piping bag or a ziplock bag with a small hole cut in one corner and keep them warm.
Step 6: Dip the Pops
The sixth step is to dip the pops. You will need lollipop sticks to insert into the cake balls. Dip the tip of each stick into some melted brown candy melts and insert it into a cake ball about halfway through. Repeat with all the cake balls and let them set for a few minutes. Then, dip each pop into the brown candy melts, covering it completely and tapping off any excess. Place them back on the baking sheet and let them dry completely.
How to Decorate Turkey Cake Pops
Step 7: Add the Eyes
The seventh step is to add the eyes. You will need candy eyes or mini chocolate chips or M&M’s to make the eyes. Use a toothpick or a skewer to dab some melted white candy melts on the back of each eye and stick it on the front of each pop, about halfway down. You can also use some melted white candy melts to pipe small dots for the eyes.
Step 8: Add the Beak
The eighth step is to add the beak. You will need candy corn to make the beak. Cut off the white tip of each candy corn and use some melted orange candy melts to attach it below the eyes, pointing down.
Step 9: Add the Wattle
The ninth step is to add the wattle. You will need red candy melts to make the wattle. Use some melted red candy melts to pipe a small curved line below the beak, hanging down.
Step 10: Add the Feathers
The tenth step is to add the feathers. You will need candy corn and yellow candy melts to make the feathers. Use some melted yellow candy melts to attach three or four candy corns on each side of the pop, pointing outwards. These will be the turkey’s feathers.
Step 11: Add the Feet
The eleventh step is to add the feet. You will need mini pretzel twists and brown candy melts to make the feet. Break off two small pieces from each pretzel twist and use some melted brown candy melts to attach them on the bottom of each pop, pointing outwards. These will be the turkey’s feet.
A Table Breakdown of Turkey Cake Pops Recipe
|Cake mix||1 box||To make the cake base|
|Frosting||1/2 cup or more||To bind the cake crumbs together|
|Brown candy melts||2 cups or more||To coat and dip the pops|
|Orange candy melts||1/4 cup or more||To make the beak and attach the feathers|
|Red candy melts||1/4 cup or more||To make the wattle|
|Yellow candy melts||1/4 cup or more||To attach the feathers|
|White candy melts||1/4 cup or more||To make and attach the eyes|
|Lollipop sticks||24 pieces||To hold and serve the pops|
|Candy eyes||48 pieces||To make the eyes|
|Candy corn||96 pieces or more||To make the beak and the feathers|
|Mini pretzel twists||24 pieces||To make the feet|
FAQs About Turkey Cake Pops Recipe
How long do turkey cake pops last?
Turkey cake pops can last for up to a week in the refrigerator or up to a month in the freezer. To store them, wrap them individually in plastic wrap or place them in an airtight container. To thaw them, let them sit at room temperature for about an hour before serving.
Can I use different flavors of cake and frosting?
Yes, you can use any flavor of cake and frosting you like to make turkey cake pops. You can also mix and match different flavors to create your own combinations. For example, you can use chocolate cake and peanut butter frosting, or carrot cake and cream cheese frosting, or lemon cake and lemon frosting.
Can I use different types of candy to decorate the pops?
Yes, you can use different types of candy to decorate the pops. You can use any candy that is small, round, or triangular to make the eyes, beak, wattle, and feathers. For example, you can use jelly beans, Skittles, Reese’s Pieces, or gumdrops.
How do I make turkey cake pops vegan or gluten-free?
To make turkey cake pops vegan or gluten-free, you need to use vegan or gluten-free alternatives for the cake, frosting, and candy. You can use vegan or gluten-free cake mix or homemade cake recipe, vegan or gluten-free frosting or cream cheese, and vegan or gluten-free candy melts and candy. You can also use vegan or gluten-free pretzels for the feet.
How do I make turkey cake pops more festive?
To make turkey cake pops more festive, you can add some extra decorations or accessories to them. For example, you can use sprinkles, glitter, or edible paint to add some sparkle or color to the pops. You can also use ribbons, bows, hats, scarves, or glasses to dress up the pops.
How do I serve turkey cake pops?
To serve turkey cake pops, you can display them on a platter, a cake stand, a vase, a jar, or a foam block. You can also wrap them individually in cellophane bags or paper cups and tie them with ribbons or strings. You can also add some labels or tags with the name of the flavor or a message.
How do I transport turkey cake pops?
To transport turkey cake pops, you need to keep them cool and secure. You can use a cooler bag or a box with ice packs to keep them from melting. You can also use a cupcake carrier or a cardboard box with holes to keep them from moving around. You can also wrap them individually in plastic wrap or paper cups to protect them from dust or dirt.
What are some other variations of turkey cake pops?
Some other variations of turkey cake pops are:
- Pilgrim hat cake pops: Use chocolate cake and frosting for the base and black candy melts for the coating. Use yellow candy melts to make a buckle and attach it on the front of each pop.
- Pumpkin pie cake pops: Use spice cake and cream cheese frosting for the base and orange candy melts for the coating. Use white candy melts to pipe some whipped cream on top of each pop.
- Cornucopia cake pops: Use vanilla cake and frosting for the base and brown candy melts for the coating. Use assorted candies and nuts to fill each pop and make it look like a horn of plenty.
What are some tips and tricks to make turkey cake pops easier?
Some tips and tricks to make turkey cake pops easier are:
- Use a food processor to crumble the cake faster and more evenly.
- Use an ice cream scoop or a cookie scoop to measure out equal amounts of the cake mixture and roll them into balls.
- Use a toothpick or a skewer to poke holes in the cake balls before inserting the lollipop sticks. This will prevent them from cracking or falling off.
- Use a styrofoam block or a cardboard box with holes to hold the pops upright while they dry.
- Use a microwave-safe bowl with a spout or a squeeze bottle to melt andpour the candy melts into a piping bag or a ziplock bag and snip off a small corner.
- Use a damp paper towel or a cotton swab to wipe off any excess candy melts or mistakes.
- Use a hair dryer or a heat gun to reheat the candy melts if they become too thick or hard.
Turkey cake pops are a fun and festive way to celebrate Thanksgiving. They are easy to make and decorate, and they are sure to impress your family and friends. You can use any flavor of cake and frosting you like, and you can customize them with different types of candy and accessories. You can also try some other variations of turkey cake pops, such as pilgrim hat cake pops, pumpkin pie cake pops, or cornucopia cake pops. We hope you enjoyed this article and learned how to make turkey cake pops from scratch. If you did, please check out our other articles for more creative and delicious recipes. Happy Thanksgiving!