Hello, Good News! Welcome to another delicious article from our blog. Today, we are going to show you how to make snickerdoodle cookie cutters at home. Snickerdoodles are soft and chewy cookies with a cinnamon-sugar coating. They are perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a holiday, a birthday, or just a cozy afternoon snack.
But what if you want to make your snickerdoodles more fun and festive? Well, you can use cookie cutters to shape them into any design you like. You can make stars, hearts, animals, letters, or anything else you can imagine. And the best part is, you don’t need to buy any special cookie cutters. You can make your own with some simple household items.
What You Need to Make Snickerdoodle Cookie Cutters
To make your own snickerdoodle cookie cutters, you will need the following materials:
- An empty aluminum can (such as a soda or beer can)
- A pair of scissors
- A pair of pliers
- A marker
- A ruler or a tape measure
- A cutting board or a mat
- A template of the shape you want to make (optional)
Of course, you will also need the ingredients for the snickerdoodle cookies. Here is a simple recipe that makes about 24 cookies:
- 3/4 cup (170 g) of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) of granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups (345 g) of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup (50 g) of granulated sugar (for coating)
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon (for coating)
How to Make Snickerdoodle Cookie Cutters
Step 1: Cut the Can
The first step is to cut the aluminum can into a long strip. To do this, follow these steps:
- Rinse the can and dry it well.
- Carefully cut off the top and bottom of the can with scissors.
- Cut along the vertical seam of the can to open it up.
- Flatten the can and trim off any jagged edges.
- You should have a rectangular piece of aluminum that is about 10 inches (25 cm) long and 4 inches (10 cm) wide.
Step 2: Mark the Shape
The next step is to mark the shape of the cookie cutter on the aluminum strip. To do this, follow these steps:
- If you have a template of the shape you want to make, place it on top of the aluminum strip and trace it with a marker.
- If you don’t have a template, you can draw the shape freehand with a marker. You can also use a ruler or a tape measure to help you make straight lines and angles.
- Make sure the shape is not too big or too small for the strip. You should leave some space around the edges for bending and joining.
- Carefully cut along the marked lines with scissors. Be careful not to cut yourself on the sharp edges.
- If your shape has any curves or corners, use pliers to bend them into place.
- You should have a piece of aluminum that looks like an outline of your desired shape.
- Overlap the ends of the aluminum piece by about 1/4 inch (0.6 cm).
- Use pliers to crimp and twist them together securely.
- If there are any gaps or sharp edges, cover them with duct tape or masking tape.
- You should have a snickerdoodle cookie cutter that is ready to use.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 1/2 cups of sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or spray them with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
- This is the coating for the snickerdoodle cookies.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch (0.6 cm) thick.
- Use your snickerdoodle cookie cutters to cut out as many shapes as you can from the dough. You can re-roll the scraps and cut out more shapes until you use up all the dough.
- Dip each cookie in the cinnamon-sugar coating and place them on the prepared baking sheets, leaving some space between them.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes or until they are lightly golden around the edges.
- Let them cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step 3: Cut the Shape
The third step is to cut out the shape of the cookie cutter from the aluminum strip. To do this, follow these steps:
Step 4: Join the Ends
The final step is to join the ends of the aluminum piece to form a loop. To do this, follow these steps:
How to Use Snickerdoodle Cookie Cutters
Step 1: Make the Dough
To use your snickerdoodle cookie cutters, you need to make the dough for the cookies. To do this, follow these steps:
Step 2: Preheat the Oven and Prepare the Coating
The next step is to preheat the oven and prepare the coating for the cookies. To do this, follow these steps:
Step 3: Cut and Bake the Cookies
The final step is to cut and bake the cookies using your snickerdoodle cookie cutters. To do this, follow these steps:
A Table Breakdown of Snickerdoodle Cookie Cutters
To help you understand more about snickerdoodle cookie cutters, here is a table breakdown of some of their features and benefits:
|Homemade||You can make them yourself with some simple household items. You don’t need to buy any special cookie cutters or spend a lot of money.|
|Customizable||You can make them in any shape you want. You can use templates or draw your own designs. You can make them as big or as small as you like.|
|Fun||You can have fun making and using your snickerdoodle cookie cutters. You can involve your family and friends in the process. You can enjoy eating your delicious snickerdoodle cookies afterwards.|
|Creative||You can express your creativity with your snickerdoodle cookie cutters. You can make them for different occasions, such as holidays, birthdays, or parties. You can decorate them with icing, sprinkles, or other toppings.|
|Eco-friendly||You can reuse your snickerdoodle cookie cutters many times. You can also recycle them when you are done with them. You can reduce waste and save resources by making your own cookie cutters.|
FAQs About Snickerdoodle Cookie Cutters
What are snickerdoodles?
Snickerdoodles are soft and chewy cookies that have a cinnamon-sugar coating. They are usually round and have cracks on their surface. They are popular in North America and Europe, especially during Christmas time.
Where did snickerdoodles come from?
The origin of snickerdoodles is not clear, but there are several theories. Some say they are from Germany, where they are called Schneckennudeln, which means “snail noodles”. Others say they are from New England, where they were named after a Dutch pastry called snekerdoodle, which means “crinkly noodles”. Another theory is that they are from England, where they were named after a fictional character called Snickerdoodle.
How do you store snickerdoodles?
Snickerdoodles can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. You can also freeze them for up to three months. To thaw them, let them sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes before eating.
How do you make snickerdoodles vegan?
To make snickerdoodles vegan, you can replace the butter with vegan butter or coconut oil, and the eggs with flax eggs or applesauce. You can also use plant-based milk instead of regular milk. The rest of the ingredients are the same as the original recipe.
How do you make snickerdoodles gluten-free?
To make snickerdoodles gluten-free, you can use gluten-free all-purpose flour or almond flour instead of regular flour. You can also add some xanthan gum or baking powder to help the cookies rise and hold their shape. The rest of the ingredients are the same as the original recipe.
How do you make snickerdoodles without cream of tartar?
Cream of tartar is an acid that helps snickerdoodles have a chewy texture and a tangy flavor. If you don’t have it, you can substitute it with lemon juice or white vinegar. You can use 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar for every 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar. You can also use baking powder instead of baking soda and cream of tartar, as baking powder already contains both. You can use 2 teaspoons of baking powder for every 2 3/4 cups of flour.
How do you make snickerdoodles without baking soda?
Baking soda is a leavening agent that helps snickerdoodles rise and spread. If you don’t have it, you can use baking powder instead. Baking powder is a combination of baking soda and an acid, such as cream of tartar. You can use 2 teaspoons of baking powder for every 2 3/4 cups of flour. You can also reduce the amount of sugar by 1/4 cup, as baking powder is slightly sweeter than baking soda.
How do you make snickerdoodles without butter?
Butter is a fat that adds richness and flavor to snickerdoodles. If you don’t have it, you can use margarine, shortening, oil, or applesauce instead. Margarine and shortening will give similar results as butter, but they may have different melting points and water content. Oil will make the cookies softer and more cake-like, while applesauce will make them moist and dense. You can use 3/4 cup of any of these substitutes for every 3/4 cup of butter.
How do you make snickerdoodles without eggs?
Eggs are a binding agent that helps snickerdoodles hold together and adds moisture and protein. If you don’t have them, you can use flax eggs, chia eggs, aquafaba, yogurt, or mashed banana instead. Flax eggs and chia eggs are made by mixing ground flax seeds or chia seeds with water and letting them sit for a few minutes until they become gel-like. Aquafaba is the liquid from a can of chickpeas or other beans. Yogurt and mashed banana will also add some flavor and sweetness to the cookies. You can use 1/4 cup of any of these substitutes for every egg.
How do you make snickerdoodles without sugar?
Sugar is a sweetener that adds sweetness and crispiness to snickerdoodles. If you don’t have it, you can use honey, maple syrup, agave nectar, or stevia instead. Honey, maple syrup, and agave nectar are liquid sweeteners that will make the cookies softer and chewier, while stevia is a natural zero-calorie sweetener that will make them less sweet and more bitter. You can use 3/4 cup of honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar for every 1 cup of sugar, or 1 teaspoon of stevia for every 1 cup of sugar.
We hope you enjoyed this article on how to make snickerdoodle cookie cutters at home. Snickerdoodle cookie cutters are a fun and easy way to make your snickerdoodle cookies more festive and creative. You can make them in any shape you want with some simple household items. You can also customize your snickerdoodle cookies with different ingredients and toppings. Snickerdoodle cookies are delicious and perfect for any occasion. Try making them today and share your results with us in the comments below.
If you liked this article, please check out our other articles on our blog. We have more tips and tricks on how to make amazing cookies and other treats. You can also subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest updates and recipes delivered to your inbox. Thank you for reading and happy baking!