Hello, Good News! Welcome to another article where we share with you some of the best recipes from around the world. Today, we are going to talk about krembo cake, a popular dessert in Israel that is also known as crembo cake. Krembo cake is a soft and fluffy cake with a layer of vanilla mousse and a layer of chocolate ganache on top. It is very easy to make and requires no baking, just some chilling in the fridge. If you are looking for a simple and satisfying dessert that will impress your family and friends, krembo cake is the perfect choice for you.
In this article, we will show you how to make krembo cake step by step, with detailed instructions and tips. We will also answer some of the most frequently asked questions about krembo cake, such as what is krembo, what are the ingredients, how to store it, and more. By the end of this article, you will be able to make your own krembo cake at home and enjoy its creamy and chocolatey goodness. So, let’s get started!
What is Krembo?
Krembo is a Hebrew word that means “cream in it”. It is a type of confectionery that consists of a round biscuit base topped with a dome of whipped cream or marshmallow, coated with a thin layer of chocolate. Krembo is usually eaten in the winter, when ice cream is not available. Krembo comes in different flavors, such as vanilla, mocha, caramel, and coconut. Krembo is considered a nostalgic treat for many Israelis, who grew up eating it as a snack or dessert.[^1^]
Krembo cake is a variation of krembo that uses a chocolate cake base instead of a biscuit. The cake base is moist and rich, while the mousse layer is light and airy. The chocolate topping adds a crunchy and decadent finish to the cake. Krembo cake is often served on special occasions, such as birthdays, holidays, or parties. It can be cut into slices or squares, depending on the size of the pan. Krembo cake is also gluten-free, as it does not contain any flour.[^2^]
History of Krembo
Krembo is believed to have originated in Denmark in the 19th century, where it was called “flødeboller” or “cream buns”. It was introduced to Israel by European immigrants in the early 20th century, who adapted it to the local climate and ingredients. The first krembo factory was established in 1930 by Shlomo Zalman Klein, who named his product “Kleinboim” or “little Kleins”. Later, other manufacturers joined the market, such as Strauss, Elite, and Carmit.[^3^]
Krembo became a popular treat among children and adults alike, especially during the winter months when ice cream was scarce. Krembo was also associated with social events and rituals, such as birthday parties, school trips, or army service. Some people even developed their own ways of eating krembo, such as biting off the chocolate coating first, or freezing it before eating. Krembo also inspired other desserts, such as krembo pie, krembo ice cream, and krembo cake.[^4^]
Variations of Krembo Cake
Krembo cake can be made with different flavors and toppings, depending on your preference and creativity. Here are some examples of variations that you can try:[^5^]
- Mocha Krembo Cake: Add some instant coffee powder to the mousse layer and use dark chocolate for the topping.
- Caramel Krembo Cake: Add some caramel sauce to the mousse layer and sprinkle some sea salt flakes on top of the chocolate.
- Coconut Krembo Cake: Add some shredded coconut to the mousse layer and use white chocolate for the topping.
- Nutella Krembo Cake: Add some Nutella to the mousse layer and use milk chocolate for the topping.
- Oreo Krembo Cake: Add some crushed Oreo cookies to the cake base and the mousse layer.
Benefits of Krembo Cake
Krembo cake is not only delicious but also has some benefits for your health and well-being. Here are some of them:[^6^]
- Krembo cake is gluten-free, which makes it suitable for people who have celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
- Krembo cake is rich in protein and calcium from the cream and milk, which are essential for your bones and muscles.
- Krembo cake contains antioxidants from the chocolate and cocoa, which can protect your cells from damage and inflammation.
- Krembo cake can boost your mood and energy, as it contains sugar and caffeine, which are natural stimulants.
- Krembo cake can satisfy your sweet tooth and cravings, as it has a balanced combination of textures and flavors.
How to Make Krembo Cake
Making krembo cake is very easy and does not require any special skills or equipment. All you need are some basic ingredients, a mixer, a springform pan, and a microwave. The whole process takes about an hour, plus some chilling time in the fridge. Here are the steps to make krembo cake:
For the cake base, you will need:[^7^]
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (200g) of granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) of vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup (80ml) of heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons (22g) of cocoa powder
- 1 cup (150g) of all-purpose flour
For the mousse layer, you will need:[^7^]
- 2 cups (480ml) of heavy cream
- 3 1/2 ounces (100g) of vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1/2 cup (120ml) of 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) of vanilla extract
For the chocolate topping, you will need:[^7^]
- 8 ounces (225g) of high quality milk chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup (160ml) of heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until well combined.
- Add the oil, heavy cream, cocoa powder, and flour and mix until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 9-inch springform cake pan with a parchment paper-lined bottom.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
- To make the mousse layer, whisk the heavy cream, vanilla pudding mix, milk, and vanilla extract in a large bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Pour the mousse mixture evenly over the cake base, making sure it fills the edge of the pan.
- Place the cake in the freezer for one hour or until the mousse is firm.
- To make the chocolate topping, melt the chocolate and heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl for 2-3 increments of 15-20 seconds, stirring between each increment until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the mousse layer and spread it evenly with a spatula.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 4 hours or overnight before serving.
- To serve, remove the cake from the pan and cut into slices or squares. Enjoy!
Krembo Cake Breakdown
| Ingredient | Amount | Calories | Carbs | Fat | Protein |
| Eggs | 2 | 144 | 0.8g | 9.9g| 12.6g |
| Sugar | 1 cup | 774 | 200g | 0g | 0g |
| Oil | 1/3 cup| 640 | 0g | 72g | 0g |
| Heavy cream| 1/3 cup| 267 | 2.7g | 27.6g| 1.8g |
| Cocoa powder| 3 tbsp | 36 | 9g | 2.1g| 3.1g |
| Flour | 1 cup | 455 |95.4g |1.2g |12.9g |
| Heavy cream| 2 cups |1068 |10.8g |110.4g|7.2g |
| Vanilla pudding mix|3.5 oz |400 |96g |0g || Milk | 1/2 cup | 74 | 5.9g | 4g | 3.9g |
| Vanilla extract| 1 tsp | 12 | 0.5g | 0g | 0g |
| Milk chocolate| 8 oz | 1120 | 128g | 64g | 16g |
| Heavy cream| 2/3 cup | 427 | 4.3g | 44.8g|2.9g |
| **Total** | | **4405** | **557.5g**|**336.8g**|**60.4g**|
FAQs about Krembo Cake
What is the difference between krembo and malabi?
Krembo and malabi are both Israeli desserts, but they are quite different. Malabi is a type of custard made from milk, cornstarch, sugar, and rose water. It is served cold, topped with syrup, nuts, and coconut. Malabi is smooth and creamy, while krembo is fluffy and crunchy.
How do you store krembo cake?
Krembo cake should be stored in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap or foil. It can last for up to a week in the fridge, but it is best to consume it within 3-4 days for optimal freshness and texture.
Can you freeze krembo cake?
Yes, you can freeze krembo cake for up to a month. To freeze krembo cake, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and then with aluminum foil. To thaw krembo cake, transfer it to the refrigerator overnight or leave it at room temperature for a few hours.
Can you make krembo cake vegan?
Yes, you can make krembo cake vegan by using some substitutions. For the cake base, you can use flax eggs or applesauce instead of eggs, and plant-based milk instead of heavy cream. For the mousse layer, you can use coconut cream instead of heavy cream, and vegan vanilla pudding mix instead of regular pudding mix. For the chocolate topping, you can use vegan chocolate and coconut cream instead of milk chocolate and heavy cream.
Can you make krembo cake without a springform pan?
Yes, you can make krembo cake without a springform pan by using a regular cake pan or a baking dish. However, you may need to line the pan with parchment paper or grease it well to prevent the cake from sticking. You may also need to use a knife or a spatula to loosen the edges of the cake before removing it from the pan.
How do you cut krembo cake?
To cut krembo cake, you need a sharp knife and a hot wet cloth. First, remove the cake from the pan and place it on a cutting board or a platter. Then, wipe the knife with the hot wet cloth to warm it up and prevent the chocolate from cracking. Next, cut the cake into slices or squares, wiping the knife with the cloth after each cut to keep it clean.
What can you serve with krembo cake?
Krembo cake is delicious on its own, but you can also serve it with some accompaniments to enhance its flavor and presentation. Some of the options are:
- Fresh fruits, such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, or bananas.
- Whipped cream or ice cream for extra creaminess.
- Nuts, such as almonds, pistachios, walnuts, or pecans for some crunch.
- Syrup or sauce, such as caramel, chocolate, or berry for some sweetness.
How do you pronounce krembo?
Krembo is pronounced as “krehm-boh”, with the stress on the first syllable.
What does krembo mean in English?
Krembo means “cream in it” in English.
Where can you buy krembo?
Krembo is widely available in Israel in supermarkets, convenience stores, bakeries, and cafes. You can also find krembo in some Jewish or Middle Eastern grocery stores or online shops in other countries.
Krembo cake is a delicious and easy dessert that you can make at home with simple ingredients and no baking. It is a variation of krembo, a popular Israeli confectionery that consists of a biscuit base, a whipped cream or marshmallow dome, and a chocolate coating. Krembo cake uses a chocolate cake base instead of a biscuit, and adds a vanilla mousse layer between the cake and the chocolate. Krembo cake is gluten-free, rich in protein and calcium, and can be made with different flavors and toppings. Krembo cake is perfect for any occasion, whether it is a birthday, a holiday, or a party.
We hope you enjoyed this article and learned how to make krembo cake. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. And don’t forget to check out our other articles for more recipes and tips. Thank you for reading and happy baking!