Hello, Good News! Welcome to another delicious article where we share with you the best recipes from around the world. Today, we are going to show you how to make a Hawaiian sunset cake, a tropical treat that will make you feel like you are in paradise.
A Hawaiian sunset cake is a three-layer cake that combines the flavors of pineapple, coconut, and orange. It is topped with a creamy frosting and decorated with fresh fruit and toasted coconut. The cake is named after the beautiful colors of the Hawaiian sky at sunset, which are reflected in the cake layers and the garnishes. This cake is perfect for any occasion, whether you want to celebrate a birthday, a anniversary, or just a sunny day.
What You Need to Make a Hawaiian Sunset Cake
To make a Hawaiian sunset cake, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 package white or orange cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained
- 2 cups sugar
- 3-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut (about 10 ounces)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Optional: Additional toasted coconut, fresh pineapple, orange slices and fresh mint leaves
You will also need three 9-inch round baking pans, a large bowl, a mixer, a wire rack, a serving plate, and a cake carrier or an airtight container.
How to Prepare the Cake Batter
The first step to make a Hawaiian sunset cake is to prepare the cake batter. Here are the instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour the baking pans.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, milk, pudding mix, gelatin, eggs, and oil. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove them from the pans and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to Make the Filling and Frosting
The next step is to make the filling and frosting for the cake. Here are the instructions:
- In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, sugar, coconut, and sour cream. Set aside 1 cup of this mixture for the frosting.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread half of the remaining pineapple mixture over it. Repeat with another cake layer and the rest of the pineapple mixture. Top with the final cake layer.
- Fold the whipped topping into the reserved 1 cup of pineapple mixture. Use this as a frosting and spread it over the top and sides of the cake.
- If desired, garnish the cake with additional coconut, pineapple slices, orange slices, and mint leaves.
- Refrigerate the cake until serving.
Hawaiian Sunset Cake Variations
If you want to make your Hawaiian sunset cake more interesting, you can try some of these variations:
Lemon Sunset Cake
If you prefer a more tangy flavor, you can use lemon cake mix and lemon gelatin instead of white or orange cake mix and orange gelatin. You can also add some lemon zest and juice to the filling and frosting for extra zing.
Pina Colada Sunset Cake
If you love pina coladas, you can add some rum extract and chopped maraschino cherries to the filling and frosting. You can also sprinkle some chopped nuts over the cake for some crunch.
Chocolate Sunset Cake
If you are a chocolate lover, you can use chocolate cake mix and chocolate pudding mix instead of white or orange cake mix and vanilla pudding mix. You can also drizzle some melted chocolate over the frosting for extra decadence.
Nutrition Facts of Hawaiian Sunset Cake
If you are wondering how many calories and nutrients are in a slice of Hawaiian sunset cake, here is a table that shows the nutrition facts per serving, based on the original recipe from Taste of Home[^1^]. Note that these values may vary depending on the brand and type of ingredients you use.
||% Daily Value
Frequently Asked Questions About Hawaiian Sunset Cake
How do you store Hawaiian sunset cake?
You can store Hawaiian sunset cake in a cake carrier or an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the cake for up to 3 months. To freeze, wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap and foil, then place it in a freezer bag. To thaw, let the cake sit at room temperature for about an hour before serving.
Can you make Hawaiian sunset cake ahead of time?
You can make Hawaiian sunset cake ahead of time and refrigerate it until ready to serve. However, the cake may lose some of its freshness and moisture over time. If you want to make the cake ahead of time, you can bake the cake layers and make the filling and frosting separately, then assemble and frost the cake on the day of serving.
Can you use fresh pineapple instead of canned pineapple for Hawaiian sunset cake?
You can use fresh pineapple instead of canned pineapple for Hawaiian sunset cake, but you will need to adjust the amount of sugar and sour cream in the filling and frosting. Fresh pineapple is less sweet and more acidic than canned pineapple, so you may need to add more sugar and sour cream to balance the flavor and texture. You can also use a food processor or a blender to puree the fresh pineapple before adding it to the filling and frosting.
What kind of cake mix can you use for Hawaiian sunset cake?
You can use any kind of white or yellow cake mix for Hawaiian sunset cake, as long as it is a regular size package (about 15.25 ounces). You can also use orange cake mix if you want a more intense orange flavor. You can also make your own homemade cake batter from scratch if you prefer.
What kind of whipped topping can you use for Hawaiian sunset cake?
You can use any kind of frozen whipped topping for Hawaiian sunset cake, such as Cool Whip or Truwhip. You can also use whipped cream if you want a more natural and fluffy frosting. To make whipped cream, you will need heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract. You can whip the cream with a mixer or a whisk until stiff peaks form, then add sugar and vanilla to taste.
How do you toast coconut for Hawaiian sunset cake?
To toast coconut for Hawaiian sunset cake, you will need sweetened shredded coconut and a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 325°F. Spread coconut in an even layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Watch carefully as coconut can burn easily. Let the coconut cool completely before using it as a garnish.
How do you cut pineapple for Hawaiian sunset cake?
To cut pineapple for Hawaiian sunset cake, you will need a fresh pineapple, a sharp knife, and a cutting board. Here are the steps:
- Cut off the top and bottom of the pineapple.
- Stand the pineapple upright and cut off the skin from top to bottom, following the curve of the fruit.
- Cut out any remaining brown eyes or spots from the flesh.
- Cut the pineapple in half, then cut each half into quarters.
- Cut out thecore of each quarter and discard it.
- Cut each quarter into thin slices or small chunks, depending on your preference.
What are some tips and tricks for making Hawaiian sunset cake?
Here are some tips and tricks for making Hawaiian sunset cake:
- Make sure to drain the pineapple well before adding it to the filling and frosting. You don’t want the cake to be too soggy or runny.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the cake layers. This will help you get clean and even slices.
- Refrigerate the cake before cutting and serving. This will help the cake set and hold its shape better.
- Use a cake leveler or a long piece of dental floss to trim the tops of the cake layers if they are uneven or domed.
- Use an offset spatula or a knife to spread the filling and frosting smoothly and evenly over the cake layers.
We hope you enjoyed this article on how to make a Hawaiian sunset cake. This cake is a tropical treat that will make you feel like you are in paradise. It is easy to make, delicious to eat, and beautiful to look at. Try it for yourself and share your feedback with us in the comments below.
If you liked this article, don’t forget to check out our other articles on amazing recipes from around the world. You can also subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest updates on our blog. Thank you for reading and happy baking!