Hello, Good News! If you are a fan of cookie butter, you are going to love this article. We are going to show you how to make a delicious cookie butter latte at home with just a few simple ingredients and steps. You don’t need any fancy equipment or skills to whip up this cozy and indulgent drink that tastes like a liquid version of Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter.
A cookie butter latte is a coffee drink that combines cookie butter spread, brown sugar, vanilla, espresso or strong coffee, and steamed or hot milk. It has a rich caramel flavor with warm spices and a creamy texture. It’s perfect for a chilly morning or afternoon treat, or anytime you need a sweet pick-me-up. Plus, it’s easy to customize and make vegan or gluten-free if you prefer.
What is Cookie Butter and Where to Find It?
Cookie butter is a spread made from crushed Speculoos cookies, which are thin, crispy, caramelized biscuits with a distinctive spiced flavor. They are popular in Belgium, the Netherlands, and Germany, where they are traditionally served around Christmas time. The name Speculoos comes from the Latin word for spice, speculum.
Cookie butter has a similar consistency to peanut butter or Nutella, but with a sweeter and more complex taste. It has notes of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and brown sugar. You can use it as a spread on toast, pancakes, waffles, or muffins, or as a dip for fruit, pretzels, or crackers. You can also bake with it or use it as an ingredient in desserts like cheesecake, ice cream, or brownies.
Where to Buy Cookie Butter?
You can find cookie butter in most grocery stores or online. The most popular brand is Biscoff, which is also known as Lotus in some countries. Biscoff comes in smooth or crunchy varieties and is widely available in the US. You can also look for Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter, which has a similar flavor and texture. Other brands include Kirkland Signature European Cookies Spread and Roland Speculoos Cookie Butter.
How to Make Your Own Cookie Butter?
If you can’t find cookie butter in your area or want to make your own from scratch, you can do so with just a few ingredients and a food processor. All you need are Speculoos cookies (or any spiced shortbread cookies), vegetable oil, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and salt. Here are the steps to make your own cookie butter:
- Break up the cookies into smaller pieces and place them in a food processor. Pulse until they turn into fine crumbs.
- Add the oil, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and salt and process until the mixture is smooth and creamy. You may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Transfer the cookie butter to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
How to Make a Cookie Butter Latte at Home?
Making a cookie butter latte at home is very easy and quick. You don’t need any special equipment like an espresso machine or a milk frother. You can use any type of coffee you like, such as drip coffee, French press coffee, or instant coffee. You can also use any type of milk you like, such as dairy milk, almond milk, oat milk, or coconut milk. Here are the steps to make a cookie butter latte at home:
- Brew your coffee or espresso according to your preference. Make sure it is hot and strong enough to balance the sweetness of the cookie butter.
- Heat your milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming. Alternatively, you can heat your milk in the microwave for about one minute.
- Add the cookie butter to a large mug and pour some of the hot milk over it. Stir well until the cookie butter dissolves.
- Add the brown sugar and vanilla extract and stir again until well combined.
- Pour the rest of the hot milk over the mixture and top with some foam if desired. You can use a whisk or an electric frother to create some foam from the milk.
- Garnish with some whipped cream and crumbled Speculoos cookies if desired.
- Enjoy your homemade cookie butter latte!
How to Make an Iced Cookie Butter Latte?
If you prefer an iced version of this drink, you can easily make it by following these simple modifications:
- Brew your coffee or espresso as usual and let it cool slightly.
- Add the cookie butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract to a large glass and stir well until smooth.
- Add some ice cubes to the glass and pour the cold milk over the mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Garnish with some whipped cream and crumbled Speculoos cookies if desired.
- Enjoy your refreshing iced cookie butter latte!
How to Make a Vegan or Gluten-Free Cookie Butter Latte?
If you have dietary restrictions or preferences, you can still enjoy this delicious drink by making some simple substitutions. Here are some tips to make a vegan or gluten-free cookie butter latte:
- To make a vegan cookie butter latte, use a plant-based milk such as almond milk, oat milk, or coconut milk. You can also use vegan whipped cream or skip it altogether. Make sure to check the ingredients of the cookie butter and the cookies you use, as some may contain dairy or honey.
- To make a gluten-free cookie butter latte, use gluten-free Speculoos cookies or any gluten-free spiced shortbread cookies. You can also use gluten-free cookie butter or make your own with gluten-free cookies. Make sure to check the labels of the other ingredients you use, as some may contain gluten.
Cookie Butter Latte Nutrition Facts
A cookie butter latte is a decadent treat that should be enjoyed in moderation. Depending on the type and amount of ingredients you use, the nutrition facts of this drink may vary. Here is an estimated nutrition breakdown of a 16-ounce cookie butter latte made with whole milk, Biscoff cookie butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and whipped cream:
| Calories | Fat | Carbs | Sugar | Protein |
| ——– | — | —– | —– | ——- |
| 440 | 12g | 66g | 54g | 15g |
As you can see, this drink is high in calories, fat, carbs, and sugar. To make it healthier, you can use low-fat or non-dairy milk, reduce the amount of cookie butter and sugar, or skip the whipped cream and cookies garnish. You can also enjoy a smaller portion or share it with someone else.
FAQs About Cookie Butter Latte
A cookie butter latte tastes like a liquid version of Speculoos cookies. It has a rich caramel flavor with warm spices like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. It also has a creamy texture from the milk and the cookie butter. It’s sweet, cozy, and indulgent.
No, cookie butter latte is not an official Starbucks drink. It is a secret menu item that was created by customers and baristas who love cookie butter. You can order it at Starbucks by asking for a chai latte with oat milk and brown sugar syrup, or a soy white chocolate mocha with toffee nut and cinnamon dolce syrups. However, not all Starbucks locations may have these ingredients or know how to make this drink, so be prepared to explain your order or try something else.
The amount of caffeine in a cookie butter latte depends on the type and amount of coffee you use. A typical 16-ounce cookie butter latte made with one shot of espresso has about 75 milligrams of caffeine. If you use two shots of espresso or strong brewed coffee, you may get up to 150 milligrams of caffeine. For comparison, a 16-ounce cup of black coffee has about 200 milligrams of caffeine.
If you have any leftover cookie butter latte, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days. To reheat it, you can microwave it for about one minute or heat it on the stovetop until hot. You may need to stir it well before drinking as the ingredients may separate over time.
You can freeze cookie butter latte if you want to enjoy it later or make it into a frozen treat. To freeze it, pour it into an ice cube tray and freeze until solid. You can then transfer the cubes to a freezer bag or container and store them for up to three months. To use them, you can blend them with some milk for a slushy drink, or pop them in your mouth for a bite-sized dessert.
Cookie butter latte is a versatile drink that you can use in many ways. Here are some ideas to inspire you:
- Make a cookie butter latte cake by layering sponge cake, whipped cream, and cookie butter latte mixture. Refrigerate until set and enjoy.
- Make a cookie butter latte smoothie by blending banana, yogurt, cookie butter, coffee, and milk. Add some ice for a thicker consistency.
- Make a cookie butter latte pudding by whisking cornstarch, sugar, salt, milk, and egg yolks in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened. Stir in cookie butter, vanilla extract, and coffee. Pour into ramekins and chill until set.
- Make a cookie butter latte ice cream by churning a mixture of heavy cream, condensed milk, cookie butter, and coffee in an ice cream maker. Freeze until firm and scoop into cones or bowls.
- Make a cookie butter latte cocktail by shaking vodka, coffee liqueur, cookie butter, and milk with ice. Strain into a martini glass and garnish with whipped cream and crumbled cookies.
We hope you enjoyed this article about how to make a delicious cookie butter latte at home. Cookie butter latte is a cozy and indulgent drink that tastes like a liquid version of Speculoos cookies. It’s easy to make with just a few ingredients and steps. You can also customize it to your liking and make it vegan or gluten-free if you prefer. Plus, you can use it in many other ways to create amazing desserts and drinks.
If you liked this article, please share it with your friends and family who love cookie butter. Also, check out our other articles for more recipes and tips on how to make your own coffee drinks at home. Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day!